Australian Capital Territory - Get help

    Abuse and neglect

    If you are in immediate danger, call Triple Zero 000 for police assistance.

    The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a telephone service for reporting the abuse or neglect of people with disability.

    Phone the hotline Monday to Friday on 1800 880 052 from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm.

    Callers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 880 052

    Email the National Disability Abuse and Neglect hotline at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Reporting child abuse and neglect in Australian Capital Territory

    If you suspect a child is at risk of abuse or neglect by a family member or guardian, use the online form  to report your concerns, call 1300 556 729 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    If your concerns relate to abuse outside of a family context, contact ACT Policing on 131 444 to make your report.

    For more information visit


    CYDA does not provide individual advocacy. Individuals and families can contact one of the organisations listed below for assistance or they can contact CYDA for other providers of individual advocacy.

    It is vital that young people and families of children and young people continue to contact CYDA and tell us about their experiences. This insight and knowledge inform us about change that is occurring and identifies areas where systemic changes are required. CYDA can be contacted by phone on 03 9417 1025 or 1800 222 660 (regional or interstate) or via the contact us section of this website.


    The ACT Human Rights Commission can investigate and conciliate complaints about:

    • Discrimination and vilification
    • Sexual harassment
    • Health services including health records
    • Disability services
    • Services for older people
    • Services children and young people
    • Retirement villages

    You can complete an online complaint form or contact the intake team for assistance with your complaint or the process on 6205 2222 or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    For more information visit Disability discrimination  and  Discrimination

    You can also make a complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission no matter where you live in Australia.

     Visit Make a complaint  page where you can complete the online complaint form or download the form

    • National Information Service: 1300 656 419
    • Telephone: (02) 9284 9600  

    Disability legal services

    You can get free legal advice for disability discrimination.

    Canberra Community Law

    • Phone: (02) 6218 7918
    • If you need an interpreter please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask them to ring Canberra Community Law
    • To contact via the National Relay Service ring 133 677 (voice calls) or 1300 555 727 (speak and listen).
    • Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Website:  Canberra Community Law


    Complaints about governments schools

    Contact first the relevant teacher, school executive team member, school principal to discuss your complaint.

    If you require assistance, please contact the Directorate’s Liaison Unit by telephone:  +61 2 6205 5429, The Liaison Unit may liaise with the principal of the school to help resolve the concern.

    If you are still unsatisfied with the local outcome you can submit a written online complaint through ACT Education Department Education Directorate Contact Form  or call (02) 6205 5429

    Complaints about a catholic school

    There are a numbers of ways you can make a complaint about a catholic school:

    Contact the school

    • Write a note to your child's teacher outlining your concerns
    • Make an appointment to speak on the phone or in person with their class teacher, the year level coordinator or home-group teacher; ensuring that you inform the school about the issue you wish to discuss
    • Consider speaking with the school's student well-being coordinator or chaplain if you feel that this would be appropriate
    • Arrange any meeting times or phone calls through the school office (this is more convenient for both you and your child's teacher and does not interrupt teachers during the time they need to be with their students).

    Contact the Principal of the school

    If the issue remains unresolved after you have approached your child's teacher or other school staff and your complaint is very serious, you can then ask to see the principal. If you feel that you cannot approach the person directly, you can also request to see the principal. To do this, you will need to request an appointment through the school office. Please note that:

    • The principal may ask another senior staff member to speak with you on their behalf
    • If a teacher is going to be present at the meeting it is more likely to occur outside of classroom hours.
    • If your concern is related to issues of school policy, these should be raised formally (in writing) with the principal or the school advisory council or school board.

    Contact the Catholic Education Office (CEO)

     If your complaint is unresolved or a complaint against the Principal it will be referred to the CEO. You may contact the CEO directly to lodge your complaint.

    Contact details:

    • Catholic Education Office PO Box 3317 Manuka ACT 2603
    • Phone: (02) 6234 5455
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    For more information visit external complaints policy  

    Complaints about higher education

    Make an internal complaint directly to your higher education provider

    If you are still unsatisfied with the decision you can appeal the decision with your higher education provider

     If you disagree with your provider’s internal appeal decision, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by an external body chosen by your provider.

    If you are still not satisfied with the outcome after the external review, you can contact

    Ombudsman ACT and make a complaint online

    or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Phone: (02) 9230 9133.

    Please note that the ACCC will only investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

    For more information visit ACCC make a consumer complaint page


    You can make a complaint about discrimination related to employment to the Fair Work Commission. Discrimination occurs in the workplace when an employer takes adverse action against an employee or prospective employee because of a protected attribute.

    Discrimination can happen:

    • to someone applying for a job as an employee
    • to a new employee who hasn't started work
    • to an employee at any time during employment.

    If you've lost your job, contact the Fair Work Commission first if you think you were sacked because of:

    • discrimination
    • a reason that is harsh, unjust or unreasonable
    • Another protected right.

    You can contact the Fair Work Commission by telephone between 9 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, on 1300 799 675 or out of hours emergency number on 0438 244 996

    The Fair Work Commission has offices in all capital cities and some regional areas where you can write, visit or email them. Visit Fair Work Commission Australian Capital Territory for more information

    • Australian Capital Territory office: Level 3, 14 Moore Street, Canberra, ACT, 2600
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Complaint about a disability employment service provider

    The Complaints Resolution and Referral Service is a free service for people with disability. Complaints can be made by clients of services funded by the Department of Social Services (DSS) under the Disability Services Act (1986). These services include:

    • Disability Employment Services (DES)
    • Australian Disability Enterprises (ADEs)
    • Advocacy Services (funded by DSS).

    To make a complaint:

    • Call 1800 880 052 (toll free)
    • Callers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling 1800 555 677 then asking for 1800 880 052
    • Callers from a non-English speaking background can use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) by calling 13 14 50
    • Submit your complaint via  Online Complaint Form

    Complaint about Job Active providers

    Talk to your Jobactive provider first to try to resolve your concerns.

    If you feel you can’t talk to your Jobactive provider, or you are still not happy, you can contact the Employment Services National Customer service Line on 1800 805 260 (free call from landlines) or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    You can also fill in the Department of Education, Skills and Employment Complaints, Compliments and Suggestions form


    You can make a complaint about a health service provider through the ACT Health Services Commissioner. Complaints are required in writing and the Commission staff are able to assist you to complete the complaints form. You can contact the Commission by phone on (02) 6205 2222

    The Health Services Comissioner is part of the ACT's Human Rights Commission. Please visit the ACT Human Rights Commission's website to download a complaint form.

    For more information visit ACT Human Rights Commission health services page


    The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) website is regularly updated with new information. Visit the NDIS website.

    You can also contact the NDIS directly by phone  or contact Early Childhood Early Intervention providers, Local Area Coordinators, or NDIS through the NDIS directory.

    If you have a concern or complaint about the NDIS, try to resolve your complaint with the NDIA first. This is usually the quickest way to resolve a complaint.

    You can complain to the NDIA via e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by phoning 1800 800 110. Allow the NDIA 21 working days to respond to your complaint.

    Contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the NDIA’s response to your complaint.

    Use the  online form  to submit your complaint

    You can also call 1300 362 072. If you are hearing, sight or speech impaired, you can contact  through the National Relay Service:

    TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 362 072.

    Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 362 072.

    Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 362 072.

    Check out the Commonwealth Ombudsman page in relation to  complaint process 

    Make a complaint about an NDIS provider, Local Area Coordinator or Early Childhood Early Intervention partner

    If you are in New South Wales, South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland, Tasmania and Victoria, and have a complaint about a support or service you have received under the NDIS, you can contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544 or you can submit a  Complaint Contact Form 

    Make a complaint about an unregistered NDIS providers

    The NDIS Commission can support people to make a complaint directly to a registered or unregistered NDIS provider. Unregistered provider should have a complaint resolution process therefore ask your support or service provider about it.

    The NDIS code of conduct applies to:

    • registered NDIS providers
    • unregistered NDIS providers
    • NDIA community partners - LAC and ECEI providers
    • providers delivering information, linkages, and capacity building activities

    Redress support services

    Redress Support Services have been funded by the Australian Government to provide information and practical assistance for people applying to the National Redress Scheme, and emotional support as necessary. These services can be called direct or visit their website for information on how they can assist. CYDA can also be contacted for advice on the services provided by other Redress Support Services.


    • Blue Knot Foundation - 1300 657 380 Counselling and support for people who have experienced child sexual abuse  
    • Bravehearts - 1800 272 831 Counselling and support for people who experienced child sexual abuse 
    • Care Leavers Australasia Network - 1800 008 774 Support and advocacy for Care Leavers 
    • Child Migrants Trust - 1800 040 509 Social work services and counselling for Former Child Migrants 
    • Child Wise - 1800 991 099 Trauma informed telephone and online counselling for childhood abuse 
    • Healing Foundation – 02 6272 7500 Service to help build the capacity of Indigenous organisations and support the development of the Link Up network 
    • In Good Faith Foundation - 03 9326 1190 Independent advocacy, case work, referral and support for people who have experienced abuse, their families and communities responding to religious institutional abuses  
    • MensLine Australia - 1300 78 99 78 National telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns 
    • People with Disability Australia - 1800 422 015 / TTY: 1800 422 016 National telephone line to provide information and referrals to people with disability 
    • Rape and Domestic Violence Services Australia - 1800 211 028 National telephone counselling service for people who have experienced abuse. Face to face counselling is available in New South Wales 
    • Tzedek - 1300 893 335 Advocacy, referral and support for people who have experienced religious/clergy abuse, with a focus on the Jewish community 

    Australian Capital Territory

    • ADACAS - 02 6242 5060 can help with application to the redress scheme. Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  website: 
    • Canberra Rape Crisis Centre - 02 6247 2525 Free counselling and support for people who have experienced sexual assault, male and female, and their families/supporters, along with information, advocacy and referral 
    • Relationships Australia ACT - 02 6122 7190 / 1300 364 277 Family and relationship counselling as well as a range of specialist counselling services