New South Wales - Get help

    Abuse and neglect

    If you are in immediate danger, call Triple Zero 000 for police assistance.

     The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a telephone service for reporting the abuse or neglect of people with disability.

    Phone the hotline Monday to Friday on 1800 880 052 from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm.

    Callers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling 1800 555 677 then asking for 1800 880 052

    Email the National Disability Abuse and Neglect hotline at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Reporting child abuse and neglect in New South Wales 

     To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (open 24 hours/7 days).

    Visit the NSW government Department of Communities and Justice Reporting a child at risk  to find out more information


    CYDA does not provide individual advocacy. Individuals and families can contact one of the organisations listed below for assistance or they can contact CYDA for other providers of individual advocacy.

    It is vital that young people and families continue to contact CYDA and tell us about their experiences. This insight and knowledge informs us about change that is occurring and identifies areas where systemic changes are required. CYDA can be contacted by phone on 03 9417 1025 or 1800 222 660 (regional or interstate) or via the contact us section of this website.


    If you have a complaint about discrimination contact the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW, they can investigate complaints about the types of discrimination covered by the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977. Please note that the discrimination or the harassment events should have occurred in the last 12 months or if the events happened more than twelve months ago you need to explain the reasons as the Anti-Discrimination Board can refuse to investigate your complaint.

    Complaint form

    You can post, fax, email or deliver the form to our office. At this stage you cannot lodge a complaint directly online.

    Send your complaint to:

    • Post: PO Box W213, Parramatta Westfield NSW 2150​​​
    • Street address: Level 7/10 Valentine Avenue, Parramatta NSW
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Visit the complaint process page to find out more.  

    If you are not happy about how your complaint is handled you have the right to complain to the NSW Ombudsman’s Office but please note that you cannot complain to the Ombudsman about the result of conciliation or about decisions of the Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

    To make a discrimination enquiry you can contact the Anti-Discrimination Board NSW by:

    • phone: 02 9268 5544
    • free call: 1800 670 812
    • email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    You can also make a complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission no matter where you live in Australia.

    • Visit Make a complaint  page where you can complete the online complaint form or download the form    
    • Email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Post to Director, Investigation and Conciliation Service, Australian Human Rights Commission, GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
    • Telephone: (02) 9284 9600
    • National Information Service: 1300 656 419

    Disability legal services

    You can get free legal advice for disability discrimination.

    Australian Centre for Disability Law

    • Phone: 1800 800 708 9:30 am to 12:30 pm, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  and This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (for non-legal advice)
    • Website: Australian Centre for Disability Law

    Intellectual Disability Rights Service

    • Phone: 1300 665 908 or 9265 6300
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Website: Intellectual Disability Rights Service


    Complaints about governments schools

    1. Raise your complaint directly with the school or service in person, by email, over the telephone or by letter if you prefer
    2. Make a complaint to the NSW Department of Education

    Visit Guide for parents, carers and students and Complaints, compliments and suggestions pages

    Complaints about non-government schools

    Under the Education Act 1990 (‘the Act’), the NSW Education Standards Authority (‘NESA’) is responsible for monitoring the compliance of non-government schools with the requirements of the Act for registration.

    1. Make a complaint to the school first as they may have a complaint procedure in place.
    2. Make a complaint to the NSW Education Standards Authority ‘NESA’

    Complaints must be made in writing and include details of:

    • the name, address and contact details of the individual(s) or organisation making the complaint;
    • the individual(s) or organisation against whom the complaint is being made;
    • the issue or matter to which the complaint relates;
    • how the complaint relates to the requirements as detailed in the NESA registration manuals;
    • evidence that options for pursuing the complaint at the school have been pursued without resolution, or an outline of the compelling reason(s) why this would not be appropriate;
    • any evidentiary material to substantiate your complaint, including copies of correspondence and any other relevant documents;
    • An account of any other action already taken in relation to the complaint.

    Complaints may be directed to the Director, School Registration and Accreditation, at:

    • GPO Box 5300, SYDNEY NSW 2001
    • Phone: (02)9367 8111
    • Fax: (02) 9367 8475
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Complaints about catholic schools

    Sydney Catholic Schools Central Office

    38 Renwick Street
    P.O. Box 217 Leichhardt, NSW 2040
    Tel: (02) 9569 6111


    33 Banks Avenue,
    Daceyville, NSW 2032
    Tel: (02) 9193 4000


    3 Keating Street Lidcombe, NSW 2141
    Locked Bag 83, Lidcombe, NSW 1825
    Tel: (02) 9643 3600


    300 The River Road,
    Revesby, NSW 2212
    Tel: (02) 9772 7000

    Visit the  Resolution of complaints policy

    Complaints for catholic schools in Wollongong:

    Ph.: (02) 4253 0937
    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Website: visit Concerns and complaints   

    Complaints about higher education

    1.  Make an internal complaint directly to your higher education provider
    2. If you are still unsatisfied with the decision you can appeal the decision with your higher education provider
    3. If you disagree with your provider’s internal appeal decision, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by an external body chosen by your provider.
    4. If you are still not satisfied with the outcome after the external review, you can contact
    • Ombudsman New South Wales  Make a complaint online    
    • or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Phone: (02) 9230 9133.

    Please note that the ACCC will only investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

    Instructions to Make a consumer complaint  


    You can make a complaint about discrimination related to employment to the Fair Work Commission. Discrimination occurs in the workplace when an employer takes adverse action against an employee or prospective employee because of a protected attribute.

    Discrimination can happen:

    • to someone applying for a job as an employee
    •  to a new employee who hasn't started work
    • to an employee at any time during employment.

    If you've lost your job, contact the Fair Work Commission first if you think you were sacked because of:

    • discrimination
    • a reason that is harsh, unjust or unreasonable
    • Another protected right.

    You can contact the Fair Work Commission by telephone between 9 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, on 1300 799 675 or out of hours emergency number on 0438 244 996 
    The Fair Work Commission has offices in all capital cities and some regional areas where you can write, visit or email them. Visit Fair Work Commission New South Wales for more information
    Sydney office: Level 10, Terrace Tower, 80 William Street, East Sydney, NSW, 2011
    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Complaint about a disability employment service provider

    The Complaints Resolution and Referral Service is a free service for people with disability. Complaints can be made by clients of services funded by the Department of Social Services (DSS) under the Disability Services Act (1986). These services include:

    • Disability Employment Services (DES)
    • Australian Disability Enterprises (ADEs)
    • Advocacy Services (funded by DSS).

    To make a complaint:

    Call 1800 880 052 (toll free)

    Callers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling 1800 555 677 then asking for 1800 880 052

    Callers from a non-English speaking background can use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) by calling 13 14 50

    Submit your complaint via Online Complaint Form

    Complaint about Job Active providers

    Talk to your jobactive provider first to try to resolve your concerns.

    If you feel you can’t talk to your jobactive provider, or you are still not happy, you can contact the Employment Services National Customer service Line on 1800 805 260 (free call from landlines) or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    You can also fill in the Department of Education, Skills and Employment Complaints, Compliments and Suggestions form


    New South Wales Health Care Complaints Commission will receive complaints about health and mental health service providers. Before making a complaint, try talking with your health service provider—this is often the quickest and easiest way to address your concerns or fix a problem

    • Call: if you need help to fill in the form  call inquiries on  (02) 9219 7444 or toll free on 1800 043 159, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
    • Online: visit lodge a complaint page
    • TTY service for the hearing impaired (02) 9219 7555


    The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) website is regularly updated with new information. Visit the NDIS website.

    You can also contact the NDIS directly by phone  or contact Early Childhood Early Intervention providers, Local Area Coordinators, or NDIS through the NDIS directory.

    If you have a concern or complaint about the NDIS, try to resolve them with the NDIA first. This is usually the quickest way to resolve a complaint.
    You can complain to the NDIA via e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.or by phoning 1800 800 110. Allow the NDIA 21 working days to respond to your complaint.

    Contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the NDIA’s response to your complaint.

    Use the online form to submit your complaint

    You can also call 1300 362 072. If you are hearing, sight or speech impaired, you can contact  through the National Relay Service:
    TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 362 072.
    Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 362 072.
    Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 362 072.
    Check out the Commonwealth Ombudsman page in relation to complaint process 

    Make a complaint about an NDIS provider, Local Area Coordinator or Early Childhood Early Intervention partner

    If you are in New South Wales, South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland, Tasmania and Victoria, and have a complaint about a support or service you have received under the NDIS, you can contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544 or you can submit a Complaint Contact Form 

    Make a complaint about an unregistered NDIS providers

    The NDIS Commission can support people to make a complaint directly to a registered or unregistered NDIS provider. Unregistered provider should have a complaint resolution process therefore ask your support or service provider about it.
    The NDIS Code of Conduct applies to:

    • registered NDIS providers
    • unregistered NDIS providers
    • NDIA community partners - LAC and ECEI providers
    • providers delivering information, linkages, and capacity building activities 

    Redress support services

    Redress Support Services have been funded by the Australian Government to provide information and practical assistance for people applying to the National Redress Scheme, and emotional support as necessary. These services can be called direct or visit their website for information on how they can assist. CYDA can also be contacted for advice on the services provided by other Redress Support Services.


    • Blue Knot Foundation - 1300 657 380 Counselling and support for people who have experienced child sexual abuse 
    • Bravehearts - 1800 272 831 Counselling and support for people who experienced child sexual abuse 
    • Care Leavers Australasia Network - 1800 008 774 Support and advocacy for Care Leavers 
    • Child Migrants Trust - 1800 040 509 Social work services and counselling for Former Child Migrants 
    • Child Wise - 1800 991 099 Trauma informed telephone and online counselling for childhood abuse 
    • Healing Foundation – 02 6272 7500 Service to help build the capacity of Indigenous organisations and support the development of the Link Up network 
    • In Good Faith Foundation - 03 9326 1190 Independent advocacy, case work, referral and support for people who have experienced abuse, their families and communities responding to religious institutional abuses  
    • MensLine Australia - 1300 78 99 78 National telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns 
    • People with Disability Australia - 1800 422 015 / TTY: 1800 422 016 National telephone line to provide information and referrals to people with disability 
    • Rape and Domestic Violence Services Australia - 1800 211 028 National telephone counselling service for people who have experienced abuse. Face to face counselling is available in New South Wales 
    • Tzedek - 1300 893 335 Advocacy, referral and support for people who have experienced religious/clergy abuse, with a focus on the Jewish community 

    New South Wales

    • Interrelate Family Centres - 1300 473 528 Face-to-face and telephone counselling, information, referral and support service with a network of counselling centres across metropolitan, regional and rural 
    • New South Wales Link Up NSW Aboriginal Corporation - 1800 624 332 (not a free call for mobiles) / 02 9421 4700 Counselling, healing and culturally appropriate support for Indigenous Australians 
    • Relationships Australia NSW - 1800 052 674 / 1300 364 277 Relationships Australia NSW, through Wattle Place, provides free and confidential information, assistance and referral regarding application to the National Redress Scheme for people impacted by Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse 
    • The Women’s Cottage - 02 4578 4190 Support, counselling and referrals for women and their families