South Australia - Get help

    Abuse and neglect

    If you are in immediate danger, call Triple Zero 000 for police assistance.

    The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a telephone service for reporting the abuse or neglect of people with disability.

    Phone the hotline Monday to Friday on 1800 880 052 from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm.

    Callers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling 1800 555 677 then asking for 1800 880 052

    Email the National Disability Abuse and Neglect hotline at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Reporting child abuse and neglect in South Australia

    If you are concerned about a child and have a reasonable suspicion that a child is being abused or neglected, phone the Child Abuse Report Line (CARL) 131 478.

    The report line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For more information visit the website


    CYDA does not provide individual advocacy. Individuals and families can contact one of the organisations listed below for assistance or they can contact CYDA for other providers of individual advocacy.

    It is vital that young people and families continue to contact CYDA and tell us about their experiences. This insight and knowledge informs us about change that is occurring and identifies areas where systemic changes are required. CYDA can be contacted by phone on 03 9417 1025 or 1800 222 660 (regional or interstate) or via the contact us section of this website.


    The Equal Opportunity Commission will handle discrimination complaints in South Australia when it is:

    • is based on a particular personal characteristic or ground specified in the Equal Opportunity Act 1984
    • happens in an area of public life; and
    • Causes loss or humiliation.

    The Act also makes unlawful:

    • sexual harassment
    • victimisation

    You can submit your complaint online, post or email visit Equal Opportunity Commission  

    Contact the Equal Opportunity Commission

    • Telephone: (08) 8207 1977
    • Country Callers: 1800 188 163
    • Fax: (08) 8207 2090
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

    You can also make a complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission no matter where you live in Australia.

     Visit the Make a complaint page where you can complete the online complaint form or download the form

    Telephone: (02) 9284 9600

    National Information Service: 1300 656 419

    Disability legal services

    You can get free legal advice for disability discrimination.

    Uniting Communities Law Centre

    • Phone: (08) 8342 1800
    • Country callers 1300 886 220


    Complaints about child care services

    1. Raise the issue or complaint directly to the child care service provider, you can contact the manager of the service
    2. If the issue is not resolved internally you can contact the Education Standards Board on 1800 882 413 (toll free) or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    3. If you are still unsatisfied with the outcome you can email the chief executive of the Education Department however the chief executive will expect that you have already try the previous steps
    4. To take the matter further, you can email the Minister of Education, however the Minister of Education will expect that you have already tried the previous steps.

    Complaints about governments schools

    1. Speak to your school first. They will work with you to fix the issue.
    2. If you are still not satisfied, contact the Education Complaint Unit on 1800 677 435 or submit an online complaint to SA Department of Education
    3. If the Education Complaint unit can’t resolve the issue, you can seek external review or advice through the South Australia Ombudsman on (08) 8226 8699 or toll free 1800 182 150 (outside metro SA only), or visit Ombudsman SA to request a review online form.

     Complaints about non-governments schools

    The Association of Independent Schools of South Australia can assist with complaints about non-government, non-Catholic independent schools.

    Contact details:

    Complaints about SA catholic schools

    The Catholic Education South Australia can work with you to resolve issues with Catholic schools in South Australia.

    Contact details:

    Complaints about a university or TAFE

    The Ombudsman SA investigates complaints about University of Adelaide, University of South Australia, Flinders University and TAFESA. You can complete the online complaint form 

     If you require assistance

    • Non-English speaking people can receive assistance from the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450.
    • If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment the National Relay Service  is available and can be contacted on 133 677 (TTY/voice calls) or 1300 555 727 (Speak & Listen).

    Alternative ways to make a complaint

    Postal address

    Ombudsman SA

    PO Box 3651 RUNDLE MALL  SA  5000

    Office address

    Level 5, Westpac House

    91 King William Street

    ADELAIDE  SA  5000


    • Telephone: (08) 8226 8699
    • Toll free: 1800 182 150 (outside metro SA only)


    You can make a complaint about discrimination related to employment to the Fair Work Commission. Discrimination occurs in the workplace when an employer takes adverse action against an employee or prospective employee because of a protected attribute.

    Discrimination can happen:

    • to someone applying for a job as an employee
    • to a new employee who hasn't started work
    • to an employee at any time during employment.

    If you've lost your job, contact the Fair Work Commission first if you think you were sacked because of:

    • discrimination
    • a reason that is harsh, unjust or unreasonable
    • Another protected right.

    You can contact the Fair Work Commission by telephone between 9 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, on 1300 799 675 or out of hours emergency number on 0438 244 996

    The Fair Work Commission has offices in all capital cities and some regional areas where you can write, visit or email them. Visit Fair Work Commission South Australia for more information

    • South Australia office: Level 6, Riverside Centre, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA, 5000
    • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Complaint about a disability employment service provider

    The Complaints Resolution and Referral Service is a free service for people with disability. Complaints can be made by clients of services funded by the Department of Social Services (DSS) under the Disability Services Act (1986). These services include:

    • Disability Employment Services (DES)
    • Australian Disability Enterprises (ADEs)
    • Advocacy Services (funded by DSS).

    To make a complaint:

    • Call 1800 880 052 (toll free)
    • Callers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling 1800 555 677 then asking for 1800 880 052
    • Callers from a non-English speaking background can use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) by calling 13 14 50
    • Submit your complaint via  Online Complaint Form

    Complaint about Job Active providers

    Talk to your Jobactive provider first to try to resolve your concerns.

    If you feel you can’t talk to your Jobactive provider, or you are still not happy, you can contact the Employment Services National Customer service Line on 1800 805 260 (free call from landlines) or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    You can also fill in the Department of Education, Skills and Employment Complaints, Compliments and Suggestions form


    Discuss your complaint first with the health service provider

    If the complaint is not resolved satisfactory or within a reasonable time frame, you can lodge a complaint with the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner South Australia

    • Online: Fill in the Online Complaint Form
    • Call: if you need assistance to fill in the complaint form call (08) 8226 8666 or 1800 232 007 for country callers.
    •  Post: download the complaint form print version  and post it to PO Box 199, Rundle Mall SA 5000
    •  Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


    The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) website is regularly updated with new information. Visit the NDIS website.

    You can also contact the NDIS directly by phone  or contact Early Childhood Early Intervention providers, Local Area Coordinators, or NDIS through the NDIS directory.

    If you have a concern or complaint about the NDIS, try to resolve them with the NDIA first. This is usually the quickest way to resolve a complaint.

    You can complain to the NDIA via e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by phoning 1800 800 110. Allow the NDIA 21 working days to respond to your complaint.

    Contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the NDIA’s response to your complaint.

    Use the  online form  to submit your complaint

    You can also call 1300 362 072. If you are hearing, sight or speech impaired, you can contact  through the National Relay Service:

    • TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 362 072.
    • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 362 072.
    • Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 362 072.
    • Check out the Commonwealth Ombudsman page in relation to  complaint process 

    Make a complaint about an NDIS provider, Local Area Coordinator or Early Childhood Early Intervention partner

    If you are in New South Wales, South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland, Tasmania and Victoria, and have a complaint about a support or service you have received under the NDIS, you can contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544 or you can submit a  Complaint Contact Form 

    Make a complaint about an unregistered NDIS provider

    The NDIS Commission can support people to make a complaint directly to a registered or unregistered NDIS provider. Unregistered provider should have a complaint resolution process therefore ask your support or service provider about it.

    The NDIS Code of Conduct applies to:

    • registered NDIS providers
    • unregistered NDIS providers
    • NDIA community partners - LAC and ECEI providers
    • providers delivering information, linkages, and capacity building activities

    Redress support services

    Redress Support Services have been funded by the Australian Government to provide information and practical assistance for people applying to the National Redress Scheme, and emotional support as necessary. These services can be called direct or visit their website for information on how they can assist. CYDA can also be contacted for advice on the services provided by other Redress Support Services.


    • Blue Knot Foundation - 1300 657 380 Counselling and support for people who have experienced child sexual abuse 
    • Bravehearts - 1800 272 831 Counselling and support for people who experienced child sexual abuse 
    • Care Leavers Australasia Network - 1800 008 774 Support and advocacy for Care Leavers 
    • Child Migrants Trust - 1800 040 509 Social work services and counselling for Former Child Migrants 
    • Child Wise - 1800 991 099 Trauma informed telephone and online counselling for childhood abuse 
    • Healing Foundation – 02 6272 7500 Service to help build the capacity of Indigenous organisations and support the development of the Link Up network 
    • In Good Faith Foundation - 03 9326 1190 Independent advocacy, case work, referral and support for people who have experienced abuse, their families and communities responding to religious institutional abuses  
    • MensLine Australia - 1300 78 99 78 National telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns 
    • People with Disability Australia - 1800 422 015 / TTY: 1800 422 016 National telephone line to provide information and referrals to people with disability 
    • Rape and Domestic Violence Services Australia - 1800 211 028 National telephone counselling service for people who have experienced abuse. Face to face counselling is available in New South Wales 
    • Tzedek - 1300 893 335 Advocacy, referral and support for people who have experienced religious/clergy abuse, with a focus on the Jewish community 

    South Australia

    • Nunkuwarrin Yunti of SA Inc - 08 8406 1600 Counselling, healing and culturally appropriate support for Indigenous Australians    
    • Relationships Australia SA - 1800 182 325 / 1300 364 277Support, information and referral, and counselling for people who have experienced child sexual abuse 
    • Victim Support Service Incorporated - 1800 842 846 Support, information and referral, and counselling for people who have experienced child sexual abuse